Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Interview With Historical Romance Author Jill Hughey


When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I've always been a writer as the terrible anniversary poems my mom still has will prove. I first tried to actually sell a book in 2001 and I self-published in 2011.

How long does it take you to write a book?

I haven't ever written straight through to publishing so I'm not sure. I wrote Sass Meets Class in about two months in 2001 but that was because of a self-imposed deadline. I re-worked it a great deal before releasing it in June 2012 so I would guess four to six months.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I write out of order. I like to get some of the important emotional scenes down so I sort of have the goal I am headed for already in front of me, and I also like to write what I feel inspired to write on any given day.

What do you think is the best way of publishing a book these days?

The greatest and often ignored plus for self-publishing is creative freedom. The author is not limited by page count requirements or a publishers idea of what will sell or deadlines. The book is done when it is done and is the length it needs to be to tell the story and the words are what the author really wanted to say. In my opinion, this is why readers can so easily find such really fantastic ebooks. There are authors who do not fit into a traditional publishing niche that now have a way to be found by readers.

I would add that if a reader finds a new book he/she loves to please post positive reviews both where you purchased and on any sites you use like Shelfari or Goodreads, plus mention it in your social media outlets. We live or die based on word-of-mouth.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

In terms of research, I rely on books and the internet. Sass Meets Class is set in 1880s Arizona and I had visited that part of the country so the settings and history were very alive for me.

My ideas usually start from a single scene that builds in my head. Often that scene does not even make it into the book but it introduces me to characters who have a story to tell.

When did you write your first book?

Probably in 2000.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

My big indulgence - when I am not working part-time in my husband's business and shuttling our two sons around - is taking voice lessons. I am a soprano and learn classical pieces as well as show tunes.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

I should not have been surprised, but I learned that I LOVE to write. Time passes so quickly and I get such satisfaction when I've crafted a paragraph or chapter that says exactly what I wish to convey.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I have written three. I like them all, but if someone insisted on reading just one I would pick Sass Meets Class because it is a sweet (no sex) romance that would not offend anyone. The books in my Evolution Series are darker and edgier, and my heroes and heroines definitely enjoy the pleasures of the marriage bed.

Can you tell me and your readers something about your main characters?

My main characters are never perfect. In Sass Meets Class, the heroine is not particularly pretty or good with men and the hero is a broke English viscount who is very out of place in America and plans to return to England to marry the first rich girl who will have him.

Do you hear from your readers much? What kinds of things do they say?

I don't but I am so happy when I do. Most say "when is the next book coming out?" which makes my week. I can be found on Facebook at www.facebook.com/jillhugheyromance and I also tweet @jillhughey.

What do you think makes a good story?

A realistic, meaningful conflict and fully-fleshed characters.

What are your favorite book genres in writing and reading? Why?

I like historical fiction books because I enjoy escape to another human world. Reading about some woman's horrible day in her cubicle followed by a beer at the local bar with a guy in tight jeans does not do it for me.

Who are you favorite authors to read?

For authors who are currently writing historical romance I like Madeline Hunter and Eloisa James. Back in the old days, I loved Julie Garwood, Catherine Coulter, and Kathleen Woodiwiss. I still read A Rose in Winter once year.


To Purchase Sass Meets Class

1 comment:

  1. I have a couple of writing buddies who write out of order. Doesn't work for me but then, it doesn't have to. Everyone has their own method.

    ReplyDelete