Saturday, September 29, 2012

Interview with Paranormal Romance Author Piper Shelly



 
When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
Funny thing, I’ve never read a book myself before I was actually 12, but in preschool I told everyone I wanted to be a writer. Either that or a princess… ;-)


How long does it take you to write a book?  
A full length book normally takes me about a year to write. Currently I’m working on a novella, though, which will be finished in a few weeks at a total of 30,000 words. Took me three months.


What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I act out body language before I write it. This often looks strange to my family, so I try to be alone when I do it, haha. And often on my way to work, I speak the dialogue lines to hear if it really works. People tend to look at me something funny when I notice them too late and they hear me talking to myself.


What do you think is the best way of publishing a book these days? 
Go to Avon… Nah, I’m only saying that because I’m a big fan of them. ;-) In fact, I think for your debut novel it’s always good to work with a publisher. The bigger the better for promotion, but any will do. I’m publishing with Black Opal Books. They’re a small press, but a load of really nice people work there and I’ve learned a darn lot from them. If you had some success in your past, self-pub is sure an option too, but I don’t know if I would want to do all the work a publisher does for you. Basically, I think it’s a choice everyone has to make for their own.


Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?
I don’t need a lot of information for my books. Most of them are paranormal, so I don’t have to stick with any rules really. Sometimes I look up a location on Google maps or do some research about Archangels and such, but not really a lot. My ideas… well sometimes they come to me at the most unreal moments. Like shortly before I fall asleep and am thinking about something I read or saw on TV a little earlier. Often I sit in the sun and just let my mind wander, and characters and situations shape in my mind then. Music inspires me a lot and I love to play out new books in my head while dreaming away in my silent room.


When did you write your first book?
In high school. It was some sort of wish-diary. I just wrote down how I wanted my life to be, falling in love with a rock star, traveling around with him, finding adventure everywhere. But it was nothing I ever wanted someone to read. At the age of 18, I finally started a real novel. It was a vampire story and just some fool-around with romance and mystery. Now I should tell you, I’m a native Austrian, and though I always had good grades in English, I didn’t really know a lot about that language…other than that it fascinated me. I had read all of L.J.Smith’s books before and wanted to write something equally cool and romantic. But my writing skills were meagerly developed and I just typed away on my computer not really knowing what I did. When that book was finished, I started researching the genre, the writing market, the authors I adored, things like that. I joined critique loops and found help in online workshops. My English got better and so did my writing. And many, many years later, I finally wrote a book that had all the qualities to attract a publisher.


What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Nothing. I don’t like it when I can’t write. It freaks me out, actually, just thinking of all the time wasted while being away from my WIP. But hey, with a family and a part-time job, you just have to do something different form time to time. So yeah…I like eating ice cream.


What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
That I actually had talent. And that there were people out there who couldn’t wait to read my next chapter.


How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? 
One book is published, one novella almost finished, and I’m working on three more at the moment. Although I love all my books and all my characters, I especially like the Archangel series I’m working on. Gabriel was a creature who fascinated me for many years. It’s cool to write and re-invent him. In my novel he has short dreadlocks and thin braids, wears leather pants, and has a soft spot for hotdogs.


What do you think makes a good story?
To me, a good story must have a lot of romance in it. I don’t like to read any other genre. Okay, I read Harry Potter and loved it, but that was an exception. However, I think most important for a good story is the ability to drag the reader right into the adventure. I love it when I turn page after page and live in a totally different place while I’m reading. At that time I don’t need food or sleep, and I don’t care what really happens around me. Once I find a good book, my family knows they shouldn’t be talking to me and expect and answer.


What are your favorite book genres in writing and reading? Why?
Like I said before, romance. Any romance is good, but my favorite is paranormal. I just like to live in a place for a while that is totally different to this plain and sometimes nasty reality. Reading gives me the chance to experience something extraordinary in my head, writing even more so.


Who are you favorite authors to read?
Kerrelyn Sparks, Sherrilyn Kenyon, L.J. Smith, Stepheny Meyer. I love all those vampy love stories. And then there is this brand new author, Georgia Lyn Hunter, who I deem my absolutely favorite by now. She writes amazing paranormal romance that is right up my alley. Her writing style inspired me a lot. And her heroes are extraordinary. ;-)

In closing thanks for stopping by and visiting.

Want to contact Piper or learn more about her books?  Visit her website or Facebook page.
Piper's Website
Facebook Author Page

 
 
 

Piper's Newest Release

 


She’s seventeen. She’s snarky. She’s trouble...

It wasn't nicking an expressive watch or diamond bracelet that landed Jona Montiniere in the clutches of the police. It was just a darn sweater. After her last spectacular misadventure, she is forced to return to a mother who spurned her. Jona is furious about the judge’s decision—until she meets her mother’s companion. Gorgeous, provocative, and mysterious, Julian is everything her lonely heart desires. But then he awakens her mother from the dead with a simple touch.


Hunting for the truth in a strange new home, Jona unearths broken promises and bitter secrets. Soon she realizes she’ll once again lose someone she loves…unless she gives him a reason to stay. But how the hell do you keep an angel earthbound?

Enchanting, seductive, and sweetly emotional.

A story sprinkled with angelic magic.


Read below for an excerpt from Her Game, His Rules:


He was so infuriating, and I was absolutely not charmed…okay, maybe just a little…

Hi,” he said with a compassionate look that made me wish the traitor, Quinn, had taken off those damn handcuffs so I wouldn’t look like a complete idiot.

Lips pressed together, my fingers waggled in a feeble greeting. The mere sight of him sent a quiver of excitement to my stomach.

He nodded his chin at my tied hands. “They seem rather uncomfortable.”

And they bloody well were, but I shrugged it off like it was nothing unusual. “The latest fashion. You heard the judge, I wear them quite often.”

A teasing smile played around his lips that spiked my blood pressure. “Shall we take them off?” he said.

He must be kidding. “Unless you’ve got teeth like a hacksaw, I don’t see how that would work.”

He pulled out a key-ring from his pocket. He squatted, leveled his eyes with mine, and shook the ring in front of my face. The friendly jingle of metal filled the high hallway.

My mouth sagged open. “Where did you get these from?”

Chief Madison.”

You stole them from Quinn?” I pulled my hands reflexively out of his reach.

Of course not.” The gorgeous blond gave me a pointed look. “I asked for them.”

Quinn wouldn’t unshackle me when I asked him to.”

His intense blue eyes locked with mine. “I had to solemnly swear to keep an eye on you. Now hold still.” Cool fingers curled around my wrist to fix my hand while he unlocked the first cuff. Sparks tingled on my skin, my hand trembled slightly.

With a click, the other cuff came off. I flexed my hands and rubbed my burning wrists.

Better?” He tilted his head and arched one beautiful brow.

My head bobbed, but I found no breath to answer.

Okay then.” He used my knees to push himself up and stretched to his full height.

He probably expected a thanks following his selflessness. My gaze focused on the ripped hems of his jeans, my lips remained sealed.

When he turned on his heel and marched off to the left, I glanced up. “And now you’re going where?” The words shot out before I could stop myself.

Bathroom break.” His arched brows dared me to object.

My lower lip threatened to pop from between my teeth as I chewed on it. Don’t speak! “But you’re supposed to keep an eye on me.”

After studying me for a couple of seconds, his expression softened even more. “You’re not going to get me into trouble.”

I let him take another stride away from me. Two. Three. Four. “How can you be so sure?” Shut the hell up, Jona. “After everything you know about me, I’ll probably be gone when you get back.”

A shrug of one shoulder and his beguiling smile struck me silent. “I trust you.”

Available At:
 
Black Opal Books
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Allromanceebooks
Smashwords

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me here, Christina. It was great fun to answer your questions. :)

    Cheers,
    Piper

    ReplyDelete