Tuesday, April 15, 2014

It Is That Day Of The Week Again #TeaserTuesday

Here is another tiny unedited snippet from the next book in The Sherbrookes of Newport Series


Across from her, he lifted his own cup of espresso toward his mouth. “Sounds like you speak from experience.”
Maintain eye contact. Don’t look at his lips or think about how they’d feel against yours. “I worked here all through high school just like everyone else in the family. Even when I was in college, I worked here in the summer. It was sort of expected.”
“I know how that can be.” He put his cup on the table once again giving her an unobstructed view of his mouth.
The night before she’d dreamed of him. They’d been standing on the balcony that ran the length of his home in Newport and he’d been trailing kisses down her neck.
“Everyone even my cousin Jake, who my Uncle Warren had to drag into the office, did an internship at Sherbrooke Enterprises. Both my father and Uncle insisted we know the inner workings of the company.”
An image of the former playboy, Jake Sherbrooke, being dragged into an office formed and laughter bubbled up inside her. “Now that’s a picture I wish the media had printed.”
Trent chuckled. “It is too bad they didn’t get one. What about you? Did you mind working for the family business?”
“No not really. My brother Nick hated it. Only lasted one summer before my mom banned him from ever entering the kitchen again.”
“Banned him? Sounds a bit harsh. What did he do?”
Memories from the one summer her brother worked at the bakery surfaced. “More like what didn’t he do? When my parents refused to let him get a job somewhere else, he set out to make sure our mother didn’t want him at the bakery. At first it was just little things. Showing up late, taking extra long breaks. When that didn’t work he stepped up his efforts. The final straw was when he started a small fire in the kitchen. He still insists that was an accident, but I don’t believe him.”
Across the table Trent cringed. “I can see how that would get him banned. Is he your only brother?”
Addie opened her mouth to answer, when Chloe called out to her from the front counter. “Your coffee is ready Addie.” Addie didn’t even manage to push her chair back before Trent stood.
“I’ll get it for you.”
A girl could get used to this. From the table she followed Trent’s movements as he crossed to the front counter and she almost sighed outloud. Watching the guy walk was just so, she didn’t even know how to describe it. Yet, she knew no one should look that good while simply crossing a room.

No comments:

Post a Comment