Saturday, August 11, 2012

A Gem For Regency Lovers



An Unlikely Hero
Author Gail Eastwood
Published By: signet Regency
Date Published: July 2012
Pages: 240
Genre: Historical Romance
Reviewed By: Christina Tetreault www.christinatetreault.com
Rating: (1-5) 4

Summary:
The twin daughters of the Duke of Roxley, Vivian and Ventia, have beauty, brains, wealth and rank, but they refuse offers of marriage and test all their suitors beyond limits. Frustrated the Duke throws a house party so that his daughters can find husbands.
The twins older brother Nicolas asks his best friend Gilbey Kentwell, the Viscount Cranford, to attend. Gilbey only agrees to attend and help keep an eye his best friend's sisters, because he knows he is no candidate for their hands. But when he learns the secret they are hiding, and then finds they are threatened by a blackmailer, things begin to change. Soon Gilbey wonders if he can help the twins while at the same time keep from losing his heart?

Christina's Thoughts:
This is the first book I have read by Gail Eastwood. I picked it up for two reasons, one I enjoy regency period romance and two she is a fellow New England based author. And I am glad I did. Ms. Eastwood did an excellent job of creating her characters and setting. The characters were likeable and sympathetic. Actually the twins reminded me a bit of my identical twin daughters. The hero while handsome did not come across as the usual Adonis that is featured in many romance novels. For me this made him a bit more realistic. The addition of a blackmailer gave the story more conflict and kept the reader guessing . My only complaint was the twins names Vivian and Ventia were in my opinion a bit to similar and at times a bit confusing.

Overall opinion
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys regency romance. However, I would point out that if a reader enjoys hotter romance they will not find it in this book. The hero and heroine do no more than kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment